On May 31, 2020, the BCCI nominated Rohit Sharma for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards. The Award is considered to be the highest sporting honour award in India.
- The period of consideration for a person to get nominated is from January 2016 to December 2019.
- Rohit has become the first T20 cricketer to score four centuries.
- Also, he holds record of 150 plus score in around 8 ODIs.
- He also holds the greatest number of centuries in ODI matches since 2017, that numbered to 18.
- He was also the ICC ODI Cricketer of the year, 2019.
- He received this award as he was the first player to score five ODI centuries in a single edition of the World Cup.
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- The award is the highest sporting honour of India. The award is presented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and sports.
- The award is presented for outstanding performance for a period of 4 years.
- The award comprises of cash prize of Rs 7.5 lakhs.